Dr. BBQ’s Injected Turkey: “For many years I dreamed of traveling the country learning about barbecue — and now I am privileged to make a living by passing on what I’ve learned. In my two decades of travels I have found endless surprises, but there is always one constant and that’s the passion for food. Over the years I have come to realize that cooking on the Big Green Egg is an experience as much as it’s a way to prepare a meal. The versatility of the EGG seems to bring out the best in cooks no matter what their level, and the Big Green Egg is all about serving great food for family and friends during the holidays!
For this next installment of my video recipes I’ll show you how to prepare two holiday turkeys — an Injected Cajun Creole Butter Turkey and a Lemon, Pepper and Herb Turkey. If you are preparing a whole turkey, just double the injection recipe and inject into the thighs as well as the breasts. These are great recipes for Thanksgiving, Christmas or a delicious meal throughout the year.” — Dr. BBQ
Cajun Turkey Ingredients
- Creole butter
- Creole rub
- Apple (if cooking a whole turkey)
- Onion (if cooking a whole turkey)
Lemon and Herb Turkey Breast Ingredients
- Lemon juice
- Fine grain sea salt and black pepper
- 1 bundle of herbs
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 325°F/163°C. (If you are cooking a whole turkey, cook at 325°F/163°C for 12 minutes per pound until the turkey has reached a safe minimum internal temperature of 165°F/74°C throughout the product.)
- Prepare based on specifications below, depending on which recipe you are using.
- Cook the turkey breast for approximately 1.5 hours, or until the internal temperature is 165°F/74°C
- Remove the breast from EGG. Tent with foil and allow to rest for 20-30 minutes.
Cajun Turkey Instructions
- Inject turkey with Creole butter in a grid pattern. Rub turkey breast with Creole rub.
- If cooking a whole turkey, place the apple and onion inside turkey and set on grid of EGG.
Lemon and Herb Turkey Breast Instructions
- Squeeze lemon juice all over the breast and rub with sea salt and pepper.
- Place the bundle of herbs on top of the breast and set on the cooking grid.